1871-1916
  • 1871

    Great Chicago Fire

    Great Chicago Fire destroys the church and Uhlich Home on Oct. 9, 1871.

  • 1873

    New church building is dedicated on February 16, on site of the original church building at LaSalle and Ohio Streets.

  • 1873

    First wing of the Uhlich Home building at Burling and Center (now Armitage) is completed and ready for occupancy.

  • 1885

    Pastor Hartmann retires as pastor and becomes Pastor Emeritus.

  • 1886

    Pastor Rudolf John

    Pastor Rudolf John is installed as new pastor in January 1886.

  • 1890

    Church Women

    Frauen Verein women's group organizes, with Emilie John as its leader.

  • 1893

    Bell

    St. Pauls celebrates its 50th anniversary with dedication of three bells donated by Catherine Muhlke.

  • 1896

    Orchard and Kemper

    The congregation purchases land at Kemper Place and Orchard Street as a site for a new church building.

  • 1898

    1898 Lincoln Park Sanctuary

    On Easter Sunday, Pastor John preaches last sermon at LaSalle and Ohio church building. The congregation dedicates new church building at Orchard and Kemper on November 28, 1898; the three church bells are moved to the tower of the new church building

  • 1900

    614 Fullerton

    Church acquires home at 614 Fullerton Avenue, which serves as parsonage for Pastor John and his family.

  • 1901

    St. Pauls Musical Club

    St. Pauls Musical Club

  • 1902

    Church School attendance reaches an average of 1,000 children.

  • 1909

    English Service Begins

    First service in English is held on February 7; services in English continue on the first Sunday of every month.

  • 1909

    Athletics on the Corner of Orchard and Fullerton

    St. Pauls forms athletic teams to participate in a church league.

  • 1910

    Louisa Johnson

    Louisa Johnson bequeaths money to the church, beginning a fundraising campaign to build a home for the elderly.

  • 1911

    Pastor Pister in 1911

    Church purchases property just north of the church building, at Fullerton and Orchard, for a parish house/community center.

    Jacob Pister is installed as an associate pastor in June.

  • 1912

    Rouse Simmons Ship

    "The Christmas Tree Ship" went down in a storm on Lake Michigan on November 23.

  • 1916

    Congregation holds weekly services in English, as well as in German.

    St. Pauls Men’s Club hosts “German Evening”